The Erie Tunnel

Multiform

The 🔊 Erie Freight Tunnel, Jersey City, 1997. The lens has been open for 45 minutes to absorb whatever light was down here at night, when locomotives and frieght cars approached the portal exit.

This is the west portal, named Erie for the railroad that owned it.

The east portal is named for the comapny that buit it in 1861, the🔊 Long Dock Tunnel. This was a time when tunnels were cut by hand and dynamite. This one cost 57 lives to build. Thank god hoards of hungry and desparate Irish laborers were readily available locally.